8.1.07

Opensuse 10.2 vs. Fedora Core 6 - 1:0

With my hardrive in my laptop signalling me sure death being imminent, I thought it is a good idea to get a new harddrive, save the existing data and update the distro while I am at it. After careful consideration, Fedora Core 6 seemed a good pick.

It was not.

The first problem was installing VMware. I'll leave it for google to document all the things that are weired with setting up VMware on Fedora, but what really broke it was the Cisco VPN client. The final straw was compilation of the kernel just being odd. Why would anyone on earth not install the sources in /us/src/linux where they belong? Heaven knows and I thought this is just odd. Also, the package manager is really slow, it sometimes took minutes to resolve dependencies and that is time I rather spent differently.

So back to Opensuse. Honestly, they were off my christmas list with the Microsoft announcement, but I gave it a second thought. And did not regret it. First off, VMware compiled. Very good. Second, the VPN client compiled, too. Even better. And the whole system just seems so much more responsive. Also, the UI is very polished and snappy. All in all, a very good distribution. Kudos to Nuremberg, a job really well done. I'll stick with them a while longer!

BUT!

Just as you thought life was good - there is always a drawback. This time in the form of a slight kernel change that broke what I actually wanted to achieve. That was to use the Blackberry Desktop in my XP VM (which I have a proper license for, by the way). So this will only work with a self compiled kernel. Alright then, off to compile my own kernel.At least it is easier than on FC ;-)

Having said that, i really like what I see now with Opensuse 10.2. This is some really good stuff!

No comments: